Writing Craft series, volume 3
Keeping readers riveted with real characters, emotion & deep POV
For the first 90 days, the ebook will be available exclusively from
As of June 5, print copies are available through CreateSpace.
About the book
IS YOUR CHARACTER REAL TO YOUR READER?
CHARACTER DEPTH brings your character to life, making her real for your reader.
Does your character come to life, bounding off the page and into your readers’ hearts and minds? Or is he flatter than a paper pancake? A well-rounded character is more than a puppet to the whims of the plot. She moves her story forward through her actions and motivations. For a character to truly come to life for your readers, first she must come to life for you as the writer.
Even a well-rounded character can fall flat if we fail to convey her well. Deep point-of-view plays a vital role in showing our character’s depth to readers. Both well-rounded character development and effective writing are necessary to make our character truly come to life for readers.
CHARACTER DEPTH will help you:
- Create a three-dimensional character from the ground up.
- Dig into your character to find what makes him tick, and use that to make him come to life.
- Discover your character’s vital backstory and convey it effectively.
- Effectively portray your character’s emotions to keep your readers invested in her and her story.
- Take advantage of deep point-of-view, the most popular POV mode.
Character depth is a fundamental feature of engaging fiction to keep your readers riveted to this book and eagerly anticipating your next.
Make your characters really come to life!
“McCollum teaches how to develop the character’s emotions and motives, how to line edit to clarify meaning and how to analyze each scene to keep the reader engaged. Plus so much more. Through detailed teaching, defining examples and questions that help the writer dig deeper, McCollum is the master of character development.”
Publisher: Durham Crest Books
Length: 120 pages
Publication date: June 5, 2015
Genre: Writing craft nonfiction
Formats: Kindle (.mobi), ePub, PDF, Trade paperback
ISBN (trade paperback): 978-1-940096-14-8 (paperback), 978-1-940096-15-5 (e-book)
- CHAPTER 1: Character Creation
- CHAPTER 2: History Leading to Growth: Backstory
- CHAPTER 3: Deep Point-of-View
- CHAPTER 4: Effective Emotion
- Creating character sympathy
- Show, don’t just tell, with emotions
- Figurative language
- Visceral emotion, visceral response
- Emotional structure & flow
- Emotional balance
- CHAPTER 5: Plot Considerations for Character Depth
- CHAPTER 6: Character Depth Examples
- Concluding on Character Depth
Also in the Writing Craft Series
|Character Arcs:||Character Sympathy:||Out now!
|Founding, forming and finishing your character’s internal journey||Creating characters your readers have to root for||Keeping readers riveted with real characters, emotion & deep POV|